Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Lucky Gate Chinese Restaurant 前門飯店 (2nd visit)

FIRST POST ON LUCKY GATE [HERE]

Another post I have been procrastinating on is the dinner at Lucky Gate because my second visit was not as great as the first. Also, the only difference between this visit and the last is that the cook left and the owner cooked our dishes. Anyways, I am only here for 1. fresh noodles, 2. deep fried chicken leg, and 3. drunk chicken.


HOT AND SOUR SOUP, HOUSE SPECIAL FRIED RICE WITH FRIED CHICKEN LEG, SEAFOOD DUMPLINGS, GREEN ONION PANCAKE, SLICED PORK WITH VEGETABLE IN CHILLI SAUCE, DRUNKEN CHICKEN AND STEWED BEEF NOODLE.


HOT AND SOUR SOUP ($4.99). 
The hot and sour soup includes shredded carrot, green onion, pork (which seemed to be missing on the last visit), and a wee bit of fungus. There is a thin consistency and the soup tastes more spicy than sour, as well as a bit bland.


SLICED PORK WITH VEGETABLE IN CHILLI SAUCE ($10.99). 
The pork is poached before stir frying and despite tasting soft and melting in the mouth, the slices lack that nice snappy chewiness. For this type of dish, I like the sliced pork to have a nice snap and chew to it. In a way, it is kind of awkward having soft pork for this type of dish. Furthermore, the chilli sauce tastes mildly spicy but more sweet, and there are a lot of chunky sliced onion as well as green peppers… which is a bonus for those who like them.

HOUSE SPECIAL FRIED RICE WITH FRIED CHICKEN LEG ($9.99). 
The fried rice is lumpy, the ingredients are not fused together, and there are chunks of plain rice (IE top left corner). In addition, the rice has no flavour whatsoever and tastes like a quick style fast food court fried rice. However, the fried rice has the bare minimum ingredients of egg, ham, baby shrimp and green onion, despite tasting bland (which is kind of a waste of the ingredients). Furthermore, the rice tastes mushy because the restaurant used freshly cooked rice.

Oh well, I only wanted the fried chicken anyway haha! About that fried chicken… the skin is a bit soggy and lacks that nice crisp compared to the last visit. Also, the chicken is very greasy and does not taste as juicy.

GREEN ONION PANCAKE ($2.99). 
Fortunately, the green onion pancake tastes exactly the same as the last visit. The pancake is nicely pan fried without tasting oily, and has a green onion flavour as well as flaky layers. I really like that their green onion pancakes are housemade.

SEAFOOD DUMPLING ($5.59). 
The skin for the dumplings are a bit too thick and the filling consists of shrimp and chives. The dumplings taste average and I have no complaints or raves. The meat is neither too dry nor juicy, and neither tender nor stiff. Although I would not order these again though.

STEWED BEEF NOODLE ($7.99). 
The noodles are freshly handmade, but are not elastic and tastes more like cooked dough than cooked noodles. As for the broth, there is a five spice flavour and tastes rather plain as well as sweet. Furthermore, the beef is sliced very thin and I do not like brisket sliced paper thin at all. On my first visit, I mentioned I would come back for the noodles and mehhh... I do not know if it was a great idea.

DRUNK CHICKEN ($7.99). 
The chicken has a mushy texture rather than tender, and is not very good. Furthermore, there is no wine flavour at all and I do not even think the chicken was cooked in wine this time. Honestly, the chicken resembles heated up old chicken with wine poured over it. On my first visit, the chicken was fresh, cooked in wine, melted in the mouth and tasted delicious. The inconsistency sucks...

This dinner makes me feel like I will not return because it was the owner who cooked everything. Having said that, usually is the owners who control the food quality and make dishes better than their staff. However, I do believe my first visit is more of a true representation of the restaurant and my second experience would only be a true representation if the owner cooks.

POSITIVES
- Only late night Chinese restaurant in the area

NEGATIVES
- Food tastes better when the owner does not cook (usually it is the other way around)
- Service is better when the family is not serving (again, usually it is the other way around)

LITTLE THINGS
- If you read my first post, I was so happy about this place LOL
- I recommend coming before 10:00pm so the food tastes better since the cook is still here

Food: 2/5
Service: 2/5

Lucky Gate Chinese Restaurant 前門飯店 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...