Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sing Kee 勝記 (2nd visit)

FIRST POST ON SING KEE [HERE]

My last visit to Sing Kee was only a week and a half ago and I mentioned that there would be a revisit. However, unfortunately after my second visit, I will never come back. First, I was able to get over the fact that the restaurant is "dirty" because certain Chinese restaurants are, but there was absolutely no service this time! I am big on service and if we are the only customers at the restaurant, I expect some plate changes. Other than the service, the food did not taste as good as the first visit and the dinner was not worth the $100.00 tonight.


CONSOMME SOUP GLAMS, SWEET AND SOUR PORK, BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP , LIVE OYSTERS, BLACK COD WITH ROAST AND VEGETABLE HOTPOT, BEEF AND GREEN BEANS, AND YEUNG CHOW FRIED RICE



CONSOMME SOUP CLAMS ($12.75).
The clams do not taste as fresh as the first visit or very tasty. On my first post, I raved about the clams and after dinner, I talked about them for hours! Also, I came back specifically just for the clams LOL, what a shame. As for the consommé soup, the broth tastes slightly salty as well as bland.


SWEET AND SOUR PORK, SMALL SIZE ($6.75). 
Kind of hoped for the second dish to be the herbal soup or oysters... but meh. The sweet and sour pork has nice meaty pieces, not too fatty or not edible and the meat does not taste chewy or hard. Actually the pork tastes quite good, slightly tender with a slight crisp exterior. As for the sauce, it tastes slightly sour with a hint of sweetness and has a nice consistency, not too thick or watered down. The sweet and sour pork is a safe dish to order (in our case on this visit).


BLACK CHICKEN HERBAL SOUP ($5.75/BOWL). 
I wish that the soup came first since we ordered them fifteen minutes prior to the other dishes, but hey, at least it is guaranteed to be served hot? When the soups arrived, I thought it was weird that the bowls were covered with saran wrap, something which was not there on the first visit. Also, mine tastes luke warm while BFs tastes hot… were the soups microwaved?! I mean, I doubt it, but it is a possibility. Anyways, unfortunately the soup does not taste as good compared to the first visit. The soup lacked a herbal taste on the last visit but, the broth was tasty. On the revisit, the broth lacks both a chicken and herbal taste. However, despite the lack of taste, the soup still definitely tastes a lot better than hot water and green onions Star Anise's ginseng soup.


YEUNG CHOW FRIED RICE ($9.50). 
The fried rice does not taste very fluffy and the rice looks darker than usual because of the heavy amount of black pepper (which I do not mind since I like black pepper). Other than a heavy hand of black pepper, the rice also tastes extremely salty. The rice is literally not edible and I think the cook put at least six times the usual amount of salt. Asides from the taste, visually, there is a fair amount of barbecue pork, green onion, peas as well as egg and as for the prawns, it is a bit on the skimpy side. By the way, WHERE ARE MY OYSTERS?!


GREEN BEAN IN BLACK BEAN SAUCE ($12.85). 
The green beans taste soft as well as soggy with no nice crunch or snappy exterior. As for the beef, the slices taste tender with the help of a meat tenderizer but unfortunately also quite salty, and I am not complaining about the typical Chinese salty kind of food. The dish tastes overly salty, exactly like the fried rice and not edible. As for the sauce, the black bean taste is not overwhelming or too heavy which I prefer but unfortunately overall the dish was left behind.


BLACK COD WITH ROAST AND VEGETABLE HOTPOT ($?). 
The deep fried tofu tastes rock hard and has been fried for too long. As for the black cod, the meat tastes dry and slightly salty (which is fine) but not very tasty. Kwan Luck's hot pot definitely tastes a lot better.


STEAMED GARLIC AND GREEN ONION OYSTERS ($2.00/EACH). 
Oh man, it felt like forever waiting for the oysters! Why are the oysters served last? My appetite was ruined from the crappy food! The oysters taste perfectly steamed and the garlic and green onion sauce tastes fabulous. Of course, there is also the one odd black bean sauce oyster that BF ordered. Umm… I think I mentioned in my previous post that he did not even like those, so why order again? If anything, the oysters had a bit of shell from a lazy shucking job which did annoy me.

COMPLIMENTARY COCONUT TAPIOCA PEARLS WITH TARO PUDDING SOUP. 
Since the dinner was not so great, I made BF ask for dessert soup LOL. As I took the first sip and laughed to myself, I waited for BF to take his first sip (the soup tastes cold and he hates cold dessert soup). BF took his first sip and his reaction was pretty funny because every restaurant serves the soup hot. He then wanted to ask one of the waitresses to heat up the soups, but like some typical Chinese restaurants... after paying for the bill, the waitresses (in this case, the owner), disappear. As for the taste, the soup tastes cold but milky and has a good amount of tapioca pearls and diced taro.

In the end, I take back what I said and will never revisit. The dinner overall was not very good, asides from the oysters and sweet and sour pork which tastes average. The dinner is not worth $100.00 and for another $40.00, we could have had dinner at Pelican (which is a very clean restaurant with VIP service) and a crab dish. Although I do admit, if I read a post like mine, I would still visit the restaurant because everyones experiences are different.


POSITIVES
- Only restaurant with fresh oysters at the moment

NEGATIVES
- Most dishes are a gamble, either average or below average
- Dirty restaurant
- May or not have service

LITTLE THINGS
- First post on Sing Kee [HERE]

Food: 1.5/5
Service: 0/5

Sing Kee 勝記 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...