Thursday, July 4, 2013

North Garden Chinese Restaurant

REVISIT POST ON NORTH GARDEN CHINESE RESTAURANT [HERE]
LAST REVISIT POSTS ON NORTH GARDEN CHINESE RESTAURANT [HERE]

North Garden is not the cleanest, friendliest or greatest Chinese restaurant in Burnaby. But, it is used to be BF and I's regular go to if we are starving and cannot figure out where to eat. We used to come here around five times a month until I started the whole trying new restaurants and blog thing. The food comes out pretty fast and if you are a regular here, the employees do try to smile a bit more than usual (only one of the waitresses who wears glasses).


HOT AND SOUR SOUP ($6.80).
This is pretty much the only kind of soup we order here and is safest for not being disappointed (for us). The hot and sour soup has the bare minimum ingredients of tofu, pork and bamboo shoots. The soup base has a very strong tangy flavour and a nice spiciness. Sounds simple but yet, many restaurants cannot make a proper hot n' sour soup!

3 1/2LB CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE CRAB ($10.99/lb).
To be honest, the crab does not taste good at all but I still always order it. The sauce tastes like pure margarine and the taste is just too much. Furthermore, there is no taste of cream at all or even a butter flavour, and only a margarine taste. I think only once out of 20 times the cream and butter sauce was actually properly done. Why do I order it? I am used to the taste and well, I want crab.

SPICY SALT AND PEPPERY PORK CHOP ($10.25).

This is kind of a hit or miss dish because sometimes the pork chops are all inedible fat, and there is only a piece or two of actual meat. As for this time, the pork chops taste chewy but not over fried. In addition, the cook did not shake the pork chops properly and there are chunks of MSG. I am not against MSG but it smote of the smh kind of thing. All in all, the pork chops are not a first choice of mine and I do not recommend ordering them, unless they are a craving. Personally, I just do not think they are worth the stomach space for me.

PAN FRIED BEEF WITH RICE NOODLES ($9.55).
There is a large portion of rice noodles along with tender slices of beef, but the dish is slightly too oily (which is not a big deal). The dish is pretty much average, no complaints.

Overall, I only recommend North Garden for those in the area and are hungry, and do not want to wait a long time for food. As for myself, this was BF and I's usual go to until our experience tonight. A waitress (I think we have only seen her twice before) was pretty rude as well as hard to find, and did not give us red bean soup at the end of dinner. I have mentioned before that many Chinese restaurants are the same or quite similar for me, so dessert whether it is mango pudding or red bean soup is my make it or break it. Also, if you are given the option of dessert, choose the red bean soup. The mango pudding is not good and is watered down to the point where it looks like a very pale yellow.

Photoframe from another visit...

Hot and sour soup, eggplant hot pot, cream and butter sauce crab, yeung chow fried rice, steamed broccoli and crispy skin chicken. The crispy skin chicken was actually good, crisp skin and juicy meat.

Food: 2.5/5
Service: 2/5

North Garden on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...